In addition to our five core sites, students who are familiar with another site that offers a rotation and global experience that better meets their career interests and goals can apply for an “Alternative Site." This option of the ISC is student-derived and student-driven. As such, students design course objectives, create a learning plan, and coordinate their site placement and supervisor. Students wishing to participate in this ISC will use this information to complete a customized syllabus (found in the ISC Application - see link on main ISC page). All students should meet with Elizabeth Rose to discuss their ISC, using a draft of the syllabus as a guide for the meeting.
Students can participate in an Alternative Site ISC during any month.
Recommended locations with VIGH partners:
- China (Shandong University)
- Guyana (Georgetown Public Hospital)
- Kenya (Kisumu)
- South Africa (University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg)
Recommended sites with non-VIGH partners:
- Himalayan Health Exchange (India/Nepal)
- Aravind Eye Hospital, Coimbatore (India)
- Pratit International (Kolkata, India)
- AMOS Urban/Rural Health Rotation (Nicaragua)
- EqualHealth Social Medicine Course (can be combined with a 1-2 week clinical rotation in Mirebalais, Haiti)
Programs with medical Spanish language training (for students with beginner-level Spanish):