School of Medicine
Foundations of Medical Knowledge (FMK) – First Year
- Series of 10-12 lectures as part of Learning Communities with small group discussions with College Mentors on topics including foundations of biomedical ethics, end-of-life care, research ethics, confidentiality, and worldviews in medicine.
Foundations of Clinical Care (FCC) – Second Year
Third and Fourth Year
- Research Immersion Experience offered for 3-6 months as part of core School of Medicine curriculum with Catherine Hammack serving as faculty area Research Director and providing oversight for this work in the Center.
- Advanced Clinical Experience (ACE) - Medical Ethics, MED 5825
Certificates of Distinction in Biomedical Ethics (SOM and VUMC)
Medicine, Health and Society
- Narrative-based Healthcare
- Ethics in Health Care graduate school course is offered by the Center and cross-listed with Graduate Department of Religion.
Faculty members teach a broad range of ethics topics across VUMC including continuing education for a variety of health care professionals, grand rounds, unit-based in-services and morning report.
Students, trainees, staff and faculty in:
- Medicine [across all specialties]
- Social Work
- Case Management
- Speech Pathology
- Child Life
- Surrogate Decision Making
- EOL Decision Making / Advance Directives
- Medically Inappropriate Treatment / Futility
- Informed Consent
- Allocation of Resources
- Decision Making Capacity
- Treatment Refusal
- Treatment Over Objection
- Moral Distress
- Pediatric Decision Making
- Public Health Ethics