Medical Assistant Program
About the Program
The Medical Assistant Program is a partnership between Nashville State Community College (NSCC) and Vanderbilt University Medical Center, in the Center for Programs in Allied Health. This program provides a unique opportunity for students to pursue a health career that is in high demand and provides the opportunity to work as a Medical Assistant at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Enrolled students complete a rigorous didactic curriculum at NSCC with courses in medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, clinical procedures, and administrative management. Course work is reinforced through hands-on clinical application of content learned at VUMC medical clinics and under the supervision of clinical preceptors. Students gain skills in communications, taking vital signs, assisting with clinical examinations, and performing certain medical laboratory procedures.
Click here to view the 2022-2023 Medical Assistant Trainee Handbook
- Pipeline to a career as a Medical Assistant at VUMC
- 12 weeks to completion
- 4 weeks classroom instruction at NSCC
- 8 weeks clinical experience various VUMC clinical departments
- Certification test preparation
- Online support modules
- Weekly cohort collaboration
NOTE: Due to the overwhelming number of candidates, we are currently working on student selections for cohorts 4 and 5. Updates on future cohorts will be posted as soon as the information becomes available.
Requirements for application:
- Attend an information session (dates provided below)
- Applications for the medical assistant trainee positions are accepted through the VUMC Human Resources Department.
- NOTE: check the job search page for opportunities to apply on the VUMC HR website HERE.
If you have any questions regarding this program or the application process, please contact the program director LaQuana Pollard at email@example.com
Attending an information session for the Medical Assistant Program is REQUIRED as part of your application process. Sessions are virtual and will be held on TEAMS.
Click the link at the date and time listed below: TEAMS Link
Thursday, March 23, 2023 2:00 PM CST Thursday, April 6, 2023 2:00 PM CST Thursday, May 11, 2023 2:00 PM CST Thursday, July 6, 2023 2:00 PM CST Thursday, July 20, 2023 2:00 PM CST