Patients and Visitors go to:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q.  What if I am not a student at all, but want to have an observational experience?
A.  Follow the application directions for a college student.  You do not need to be a student to observe, but you must have graduated from high school, or received your GED.

Q. Where can I get immunizations, TB skin tests, or blood tests drawn?
A. If you are a Vanderbilt student, you may visit Student Health for your needs.  Otherwise, you can visit your primary physician or other health care provider which includes a walk-in clinic facility.  

Q. Do I really need to have a TB skin test?
A. Yes. If you have not had a TB skin test within the past 12 months, you will need to have one.  The VOE program requires the one-step TB  test.

Q.  What is a Varicella titer?
A.  A Varicella titer is a blood test that will tell us if you are immune to the Varicella (Chicken Pox) virus.

Q. Do I need a Varicella titer drawn if I've had Chicken Pox?
A. Yes.  Having had Chicken Pox does not guarantee immunity.

Q.  Who will I observe?
A.  If you have somebody who has already agreed to let you observe, you will submit that information to us in your application.  If you do not, you will provide information in your application that will help us identify an appropriate host.

Q. Can I observe a family member that works for Vanderbilt?
A. No, students and employees cannot be supervised by a family member.  No Exceptions!

Q. I have health records at Vanderbilt, do I still need to turn them in?
A. Yes.  The staff coordinating this program do not have access to your personal medical records or any documents you may have submitted to another department or organization.

Q. I know I can't touch patients but can I help with filing, cleaning or other support activities?
A. No.  This program is observational onlyThere is no hands-on activity allowed.

Email us at

Helpful Links