Our traditional, 3 year, ACGME accredited program includes training in thoracic, cardiac and congenital cardiac surgery. Two resident positions are available for each year. A balanced training curriculum provides clinical and educational experiences in the full spectrum of adult cardiac, pediatric cardiac, and general thoracic surgery. No specific subspecialty track is required though residents can focus upon their chosen path during their last year of training.
The goals of our program are to:
- Provide a robust, appropriately supervised setting in which advanced, highly skilled education in adult and congenital cardiac surgery and thoracic surgery can occur.
- Seek opportunities for the resident to rapidly acquire an in-depth knowledge and advanced skill in cardiac and thoracic surgical techniques and to refine both surgical judgment and technical expertise.
- Develop the resident academically and professionally. Competencies to be acquired include those of medical knowledge, patient care, practice-based learning and improvement, communication and interpersonal skills, professionalism, and systems-based practice.
- Create a fulfilling clinical environment that allows graduated clinical and professional advancement accomplished by direct expert clinical, academic and professional instruction promoting self-directed education, and fostering the enhancement of the individual resident's clinical professional, social and academic pursuits.
Our three year residency education program in thoracic surgery is under the auspices of the Residency Review Committee for Thoracic Surgery and the ACGME. Upon completion of this residency education program, residents will be eligible for the qualifying (written) examination; and the certifying (oral) examinations of the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.
Joint General Surgery and Thoracic Surgery Program (4+3)
We also offer a 4+3 program.
We invite you to explore these pages and hope you find them as helpful resources.
• Vanderbilt GME Office
• General Surgery Residency
• Vanderbilt Cardiac Surgery
• TSDA Association & TSRA Association