Where To Go
Park in the shuttle lot (Vanderbilt lot #127) located at the corner of 8th Avenue South and Chestnut street (625 Chestnut Street, Nashville, TN). There is a chain link fence around the parking lot and it is located across from Greer Stadium. Shuttle buses to the main campus run approximately every 20 minutes. Take the shuttle bus to the first stop on Medical Center Drive. Walk forward to the VUMC hospital (on your right), cross Medical Center Drive and enter the Medical Center East parking garage (on your left). Walk along the pedestrian pavement until you see double doors on your right. Take the elevator to the 2nd floor (MCE elevators are restricted to the 2nd floor screening stations during COVID). Walk around the corner to your left and get back on the elevator to the 3rd floor. When you exit the elevator, walk to the South Tower and enter the glass double doors on your left. The rehab waiting room is on your left. Tell the front desk that you are a therapy student here to see Jennifer Emery or Ashley Orth.
If you miss the VUMC shuttle, you can take the MTA city bus route #25. There is a small fee to ride the MTA bus, so please make sure you have cash on hand (MTA Fares). Exit the MTA bus at Edgehill Avenue and 21st Avenue. From there, walk up 21st Avenue to Medical Center Drive and turn right. Continue with directions above.
If you have any problems, please call 615-343-9284 between the hours of 7a - 5p Monday - Friday. Tell them you are a lost student and ask to speak with Jenn or Ashley (outpatient).
What To Wear
- Dress Code is Business Casual
- You will receive your VUMC ID badge on your first day. Your name badge should be worn above the waist at all times while at VUMC.
- Closed-toe shoes with socks or stockings are required. Neat tennis shoes are acceptable.
- No jeans or short skirts.
- No spaghetti straps (or sleeveless tops), tight, low-cut, or revealing clothing. Be mindful that we are often leaning forward or demonstrating exercises for patients.
- The temperature varies in the clinic. Layering is recommended.
- Piercings should be ears only.
- Tattoos should be covered
- No artificial nails or long nails.
What To Expect
On your first day, you will complete all online orientation modules accessed from the VUMC Learning Exchange using your VUNet ID and password. You will be scheduled for eStar (Epic) training during the first week of your clinical rotation to learn our computerized documentation and billing system. Prerequisites for the course are included in the Learning Exchange modules that must be completed. Time will be allotted on your first day to obtain your ID badge at the off-site administrative office. You will also be able to purchase a parking pass if desired. After lunch you will meet with your clinical instructor to review expectations, goals, policies/procedures, and to answer any questions you may have for your clinical rotation.