What is ransomware?
Ransomware is a type of malware sent by a cybercriminal, usually via a phishing email.
- Once you click on the carefully prepared link, it locks down your computer until a 'ransom' is paid.
How will I know if I have gotten or received ransomware?
- Your workstation will lockup and you should receive a pop-up on your screen similar to Figure A below.
- Ransom is demanded if the form of 'bitcoin' or other virtual currency to get a decryption key and regain access.
How can I avoid ransomware?
- Be aware of the emails you receive.
- Be aware of the who the emails you receive are from.
- Be aware of all links you click on.
What if I am the victim of a ransomware attack?
Call the VUMC IT/NTT Help Desk immediately at 615-343-HELP/3-4357.
Don’t click on that link!