Cases Ticking Up in Our Region and Among Our Workforce
As COVID-19 cases show a sharp increase in our region, Vanderbilt Health again requires masks to be worn in all indoor areas of its medical center campus and across the health system. This is in addition to the ongoing requirement of masks in our hospitals and clinics. This requirement applies to all employees, trainees, patients and visitors.
CDC Community Levels Tool Can Help Guide Individual Action Outside Healthcare Settings
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers a COVID-19 Community Levels tool to check the current risk of COVID-19 by county. The CDC recommends safety precautions based on information about new case counts and hospitalizations in the area. The risk levels are simplified as low (green), medium (yellow) and high (orange).
Regardless of the county risk level, hospitals and clinics are considered high risk. Vanderbilt Health continues to require masks in its hospitals and clinics to protect patients who may be vulnerable because of their health conditions and now requires masks in all indoor settings across its medical center in Nashville and throughout the health system.
Recommendations differ across the 3 categories as follows:
- The CDC recommends up-to-date vaccination and testing if you have symptoms at all Community Levels.
- The CDC adds the recommendation that in communities with medium risk, patients with conditions that weaken their immune systems or other concerns talk to their doctor about wearing masks indoors and other safety precautions.
- The CDC adds indoor masking as a recommendation in high risk counties.
You can see the latest risk levels for your county using the CDC tool below:
Information about vaccines and testing
We're following public health guidelines for giving COVID-19 vaccines. This includes vaccines for ages 5 and older, boosters and additional doses for immune-compromised individuals. Based on CDC guidelines and our own review of the scientific evidence, VUMC offers second COVID-19 boosters to employees and members of the community.
- Information about vaccines for our employees (VUMC Occupational Health).
- Vaccine information for patients of all ages.
- Guidance about COVID testing for public and patients.
- Guidance about COVID testing for VUMC employees (password required)
Updated May 26, 2022