While we have schedule openings seven days a week and from morning to night, our greatest need is Monday-Friday, 8a-6pm. We have limited weekend and evening openings. If you have schedule availability during the weekday, you will have a greater selection of opportunities from which to choose.
Are you ready to volunteer? Is VUMC the right place for you? Before you apply, ask yourself these questions:
- Have I carefully and realistically considered my schedule an am able to commit to a weekly volunteer time for six months to one year?
- As a college students, how much am I already committed to extra-curricular activities, volunteering, employment, etc.?
- Am I comfortable in a clinical environment where I will see children/adults who are sick or in pain and families under stress?
- Will I be able to treat my commitment to volunteer similarly to the seriousness with which I treat work or school obligations?
- Am I comfortable submitting personal references and having a background check?
- Am I willing and able to maintain professional boundaries with patients and families?
If you answered yes to all the questions, please continue. If you answered no to any of the questions, Vanderbilt University Medical Center may not meet your goals as a volunteer.
Consider these statements and decide if they are true for you:
- I want to gain clinical experience by practicing the skills I have learned at school.
- I hope that by volunteering I will be better able to work through my grief at the loss of a loved one.
- I have a story to tell and want to share my experience with others.
- I have a month or two of unexpected free time and would like to volunteer on a short-term basis.
- I hope that volunteering will lead directly to employment at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
- I need to be busy all the time.
- I have recently experienced the death of someone close to me.*
- I am currently looking for full-time employment.**
If any of these statements are true, please reconsider applying to Vanderbilt University Medical Center at this time.
*Please wait a year and apply then.
**Please wait until you are established in your new job and apply then.
Now that you have reviewed and carefully considered the above, and you are able to fulfill our commitment requirements, we welcome you to apply. Please click here to apply and review our onboarding process and requirements.