At Vanderbilt University Medical Center, we recognize the importance of social media as means of connecting, engaging and communicating. VUMC was one of the first medical centers in the country to develop a social media policy to guide use of social media by its workforce.
Helping you participate in social media effectively -- without wasting resources of effort and time and without getting yourself or VUMC into trouble -- is the goal of the policy and this accompany website. You'll find the policy as well as other tools and resources here.
What this means if you have profiles on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other social media sites:
You likely have a profile in one or more social networks. You may also comment on blogs or online communities and news sites. If so, please be sure to read the policy to make sure you understand how it applies to your activity. (Psst -- here's the short version: all other policies apply in social media, including HIPAA, and if you post on social media in a way that identifies with VUMC, please make it clear you do not speak for the medicial center by including "views are my own" or a similar disclaimer in your account bio).
VUMC's nationally recognized social media team has been charged by VUMC leadership to guide the strategy for the medical center and to manage and oversee accounts on behalf of the VUMC brand.
This team continually assesses trends, and pilots activity in new and emerging platforms. Through this activity, VUMC (including Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital) reached a daily average of 500,000 users last year. Fans and followers of the primary brand channels in social media total more than 580,000. See a list of our accounts here.
Do you want to participate in social media on behalf of VUMC?
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Review the tools and resources on these pages.
- Follow/like one of the VUMC accounts. Share information posted on these public channels with your own networks in social media -- you are an important voice in our community.
- Visit, follow and share on your own personal social accounts content from My Southern Health, VUMC's health and wellness information site, and Discover, VUMC's site aimed at peer physicians and scientists highlighting our research and clinical advances.
- Submit news and announcements to the social media team to consider for posting on our current social media sites at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are interested in discussing how social media might help you meet your department's business goals and objectives or if you would like to start an approved, request a consultation.
Accounts representing VUMC are subject to Vanderbilt University trademarks review.
Be aware that the VUMC Social Media Policy requires that any accounts that use the Vanderbilt name, logo or variations of them or that purport to speak on behalf of a VUMC clinic, department or other entity must be approved by Strategic Marketing prior to creation.