Eligible to Participate in VOE
If you are a high school student and would like to observe at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC), you must meet four requirements:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Attend a school that has an affiliation agreement with VUMC
- Attend either a public or private high school
- (Home schooled students are only eligible if an affiliation agreement is in place with their homeschool organization - contact the VOE office for details)
- Complete the VOE online application
- Background checks will be required for all observers age 18 and older. The cost is approximately $36 with possible additional charges and is the responsibility of the observer. This information will be forwarded to the applicant only after the application is completed and the required documentation is submitted.
- High School students cannot observe in the Adult and Pediatric Emergency Departments, Adult and Pediatric ORs, Pediatric ICU's, and other areas determined by unit management.
Ineligible to Participate in VOE
If you are a high school student and your school does not currently have a School Agreement with Vanderbilt, you are ineligible to participate in VOE until a School Agreement has been established. To obtain a School Agreement, complete the simple online REQUEST FOR AGREEMENT form (see blue box).
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Protection of Minors Provision
Vanderbilt University Medical Center personnel adhere to Tennessee state law on mandatory child abuse reporting to either the appropriate law enforcement agency or the state hotline operated by the Department of Childrens Service. In addition to external reporting, Vanderbilt has a mandatory internal child abuse reporting procedure. If you have reason to believe abuse or inappropriate behavior has occurred concerning a minor under the care of or participating in a program at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, please consult the program director, or Risk Management (615-936-0660), or report via the Vanderbilt hotline at 866-783-2287. The Tennessee Child Abuse reporting hotline number is 877-237-0004.