Contact Hour Process
To offer an activity with Nursing Continuing Professional Development (NCPD) contact hours:
- You must submit a contact hours request form.
- The request needs to be submitted 45 days prior to the proposed event date.
- It may take up to 5 business days to process your request.
- Your program request is reviewed for eligibility by the Accredited Provider Program Director.
- When the APPD deems the request eligible, a Nurse Planner from the Provider Unit will be assigned to your event. The Nurse Planner will provide oversight as required by the ANCC. The Nurse Planner must be involved in all steps of the planning process. All required documents must be completed prior to your activity date, ideally at least two weeks prior to the event. You will work with your assigned Nurse Planner to identify the deadlines.
2023 Process Updates
Roles and Responsibilities
The Nurse Planner from the VUMC ANCC Provider Unit is actively involved in all aspects of planning, implementation, and evaluation of each NCPD activity. In addition, the Nurse Planner is responsible for assessing whether appropriate educational design principles are used, and processes are consistent with the requirements of the ANCC NCPD Accreditation Program.
ANCC Provider Units are responsible for supporting the delivery of NCPD activities and awarding contact hours to nurses for use in fulfilling their own goals for professional development, licensure, and certification.
VUMC’s ANCC Accredited Provider Unit is managed by the Nursing Education and Professional Development Department.
The Accredited Provider Program Director (APPD) has the authority within an ANCC Provider Unit to ensure adherence to the ANCC NCPD Accreditation Program criteria in the provision of NCPD.
The Activity Contact is the point of contact for the VUMC ANCC Provider Unit Contact Hour Team (Nurse Planner and Program Managers). The contact invites the Nurse Planner to activity planning meetings, sends requested NCPD activity documentation to the Contact Hour Team, provides NCPD activity disclosures to participants at the beginning of the NCPD activity and ensures the evaluation process is shared with participants at the end of the activity. Once the activity is complete, the contact disseminates NCPD activity evaluation results with planning committee members and key stakeholders as appropriate.
The Program Manager collaborates with the APPD and the Nurse Planner to ensure all ANCC criteria are met so the VUMC ANCC Accredited Provider Unit can award contact hours to individual NCPD activities.