Since 2014, the EHC Core has consulted on a variety of internal, external, and community-based projects. Examples include:
Sickle Cell Disease Guidelines
- Converted clinical sickle cell disease guidelines into clearly articulated, patient-facing text and actionable items
- Collaborated with the IRB and VICTR to improve the language used in electronic informed consent documents
- Compiled a list of “best practices” to serve as a reference for other researchers.
All of Us (Precision Medicine Initiative)
- Improved readability and understandability of public-facing materials and informed consent documents
- Assisted with the development of the survey to be completed by all participants
Organizational Health Literacy (OHL)
- Conducted a literature review to identifying and evaluate tools that assess OHL.
- Assessed the relationship between health literacy and health outcomes after major surgery (length of stay, complications, readmissions, ED visits)
- Created a glossary of commonly used research terms to improve understanding for patients who want to sign up for research studies
- Assessed the association between health literacy and inpatient use of the MyHealthAtVanderbilt (MHAV) patient portal.
The EHC Core also provides a variety of effective health communication trainings, including one-on-one counseling, workshops, and community-based seminars.