The Effective Health Communication (EHC) Core provides consultation on multiple aspects of research related to health literacy, numeracy, cross-cultural communication, and mobile device or Internet-based communication.
Consultation can be arranged at any stage in the research process, including identification of appropriate measures and resources, feedback on study-related materials, recruitment of diverse patients, informed consent, accurate data collection, data analysis and interpretation, and dissemination of findings, all with an eye toward making the research accessible to patients across a range of health literacy skills and cultures.
EHC Core services include:
- Consultation regarding the development of consent and e-consent sensitive to patient literacy/numeracy, cultural, and other psychosocial factors. Click to read more
- Consultation regarding accurate collection of data from patients with low literacy skills.
- Identification of existing scales and resources related to the assessment of health literacy, numeracy, patient education, and other communication domains.
- Assist with content development, and evaluation of literacy, numeracy, and health communication related measures.
- Consultation on efficacious and sustainable communication modalities (e.g., phone, text, web, in-person) based on population(s), goals, and resources.
- Strategies for recruitment of diverse patients including those with lower literacy skills or limited English proficiency.
- Consultation on content development, design and evaluation of health communication interventions for patients or providers, including print, audiovisual, web-based, or mobile phone-based tools.
To request EHC Core services, please follow these steps:
2. Create a CORES user account if you do not already have one.
To request EHC Core services using a VICTR voucher, you must ALSO complete these steps:
3. Log in to StarBRITE and create a new fund request form (under the “Funding” tab, click “APPLY HERE”).
a. Title and user role
i. Add the PI and add Sarah Williamson (VUNet: mcphilse) as a “proxy”
ii. If necessary, add a “primary contact,” this person will help manage the fund request submission
b. Specify that the Effective Health Communication Core (a sub-core of the HSR Core) will be
i. Under Resources, click on “technical core facilities” and find the “Health Services Research Core
ii. In the box that pops up on the right, attach the completed EHC Project Template Form
iii. Enter the estimated budget from project request form
*Cost sharing will not be necessary for requests under $2,000
iv. In the box asking you to describe services requested, use the EHC Core template
language, specify which services you are requesting (from the list above), and click “add”
c. Enter all PI information
i. Including eRA Commons Username and Mentor name
*PI should ask administrator for his/her NIH eRA Commons username if unknown
d. Project-specific information
i. Basic information about the study (funding and trainee information)
e. Scientific information
i. Hypothesis/research question(s)
ii. Scientific summary of problem that study will address
iii. Description of how this project will translate to humans or health services and how funds will help accomplish aims
iv. Describe how funding will promote training/career of researchers
v. IRB status
*If not associated with an IRB-approved study, will need to describe why
f. Attach documents
i. Research proposal
iii. Schedule of events
iv. Inclusion/Exclusion criteria
v. Mentor letter (*only “Document” that is required ) - this can be an email approving the project
g. Review proposal and submit
**If you receive emails from VICTR about your request, please respond to them and address any issues that arise as quickly as possible. Email us if you need additional assistance.**