With PEPFAR funding through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the FGH Avante program seeks to control the HIV epidemic by supporting the sustainable implementation of HIV and Tuberculosis (TB) services in Zambézia Province. Avante is implemented by Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) and its affiliate Friends in Global Health (FGH), working in partnership with the Government of Mozambique (GoM) at the national, provincial, district, health facility and community levels. FGH has been working in Zambézia Province since 2006.
Support provided at the health facility and community level:
- Direct Service Delivery to patients offered through medical officers, nurses, laboratory and pharmacy technicians and psychiatrists hired via sub-agreements with district health authorities.
- Support for and allocation of lay staff: Health Counselors, Peer Educators, Cough Officers and Mentor Mothers.
- Produce health communication activities via community radios, community theater, TV programs and health promotion talks at patient waiting areas.
- Promotion of HIV prevention messages at schools and adolescent and youth friendly services (SAAJ) at health facilities targeting adolescent girls and young women.
- Clinical mentoring and cascade training provided by clinical, psychosocial support, mother and child health, pharmacy and laboratory advisors with an online monitoring system.
- Implementation of the Electronic Patient Tracking System (EPTS) at all supported health facilities.
- Maintenance of databases with the support of data clerks; data used for evidence-based solutions.
- Transport laboratory specimens through a partnership with the private sector.
- Reproduction of logbooks and records.
- Provision of hospital furniture, equipment and improved infrastructure.
Support provided at provincial level:
- Technical assistance to the Provincial Health Directorate (DPS) in the implementation of National Guidelines.
- Assistance to the Provincial Laboratory through Laboratory Advisors and data clerks.
Support provided at national level:
- Participation in Ministry of Health technical work groups, and provision of procurement and logistics support.
Evolution of the Number of People (Adults + Children) Currently Receiving ART at VUMC/FGH supported health facilities in Zambézia Province, Mozambique (2017 - 2022) (2nd 95-95-95 Goal)