MVA’s community engagement pillar builds bridges and strategic partnerships across Meharry, Vanderbilt and community organizations to promote health equity. To this end, we:
- Develop and support strategic partnerships focused on health issues of mutual concern.
- Seek to understand issues impacting the community and leverage community assets.
- Foster the use of evidence-based practices and employ a health equity lens in community engagement programming.
- Bring together multisector collaboratives and support community-lead collaboratives to advance community health.
- Engage in teaching and training to build capacity to address health issues of mutual concern and to ensure best practices in community engagement.
- Support mutually beneficial research partnerships and scholarly activities that promote health equity.
- Connect community partners to resources at Meharry and Vanderbilt, including faculty expertise and student service learning opportunities.
- Provide students with opportunities to learn about community health improvement and community engagement, enhancing the ability of students to impact community health