About Nurse Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) at VUMC
Nurse Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) work at VUMC is a collaborative effort amongst VUMC Nurse Leaders and staff to Strengthen the culture to support and champion nurse workforce diversity, equity, and inclusion.
VUMC will be an exemplary leader amongst healthcare institutions related to their nurse workforce DEI.
To help create a nursing workforce and work environment that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive, and exemplifies DE&I best practices.
- To review diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) evidence inform and make recommendations that support nursing DE&I initiatives and programs enterprise wide at VUMC
- To champion, lead, participate in, communicate, and execute nursing DE&I plans and initiatives
- To evaluate results related to nursing DE&I initiatives and programs at VUMC
- To establish a professional group that is representative of all entities in VUMC to focus on nursing DE&I initiatives and programs
The work of the committee will align with the VUMC Pillar Goals, the Nursing Strategic Plan, the Nursing Staff Bylaws, and the VUMC Racial Equity Task Force recommendations and be guided by the Nursing Executive Board.
- Community Outreach, featuring
Collaboration brings nursing education to Metro Schools
Goal and Objectives
To help create a nursing workforce and work environment that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive, and exemplifies DE&I best practices, the NDEIC will:
- Assess DE&I within the nursing workforce
- Recommend & Identify measurable initiatives
- Determine appropriate DE&I metrics
- Monitor and evaluate progress and outcomes
Communicate DEI-specific system-wide education initiatives.
Definitions of DEI and Leader-Recommended Priorities
Diversity: The presence of differences within a given setting
- Local Health Professional School Partnerships
- Mentor Groups
- Disseminate Demographic Prevalence & Hiring DATA
- Review Experienced Nurse Hiring Process
- Staff Nurse Perceptions
Equity: Ensuring processes and programs are impartial, fair and provide equal possible outcomes for every individual
- Nurse Committee Diversity
- Career Ladder
- Nurse Staff Specific DE& I Education
- DE&I Resources Nurse Leaders
- Patient Satisfaction
Inclusion: Ensuring that people feel a sense of belonging in the workplace
- Nurse Diversity Advisory Council
- DE& I Benchmarks
- Veritas/Employee (Microaggressions)
- Regular Presentations to Staff
- Nurse ERG