If you are a domestic student and do not wish to participate in the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan offered through Vanderbilt University, you must complete an online waiver form indicating your other insurance information. The online waiver form must be completed no later than August 1 for Summer and Fall enrollment and Summer enrollment. Spring 2020 Admits must waive by January 1, 2020. Please go to www.gallagherstudent.com/vanderbilt for more information regarding the waiver process.
Please note that only domestic students are eligible for the waiver of the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan.
Your insurance coverage submitted for the waiver request for 2019-2020 must meet the following guidelines:
- Be provided by an insurance carrier that is based in the United States. International policies, travel insurance and short term medical policies are not acceptable.
- Comply with all provisions of the Affordable Care Act.
- Provide coverage from August 12, 2019 to August 11, 2020.
- Provide an unlimited plan maximum benefit. Plans with maximums on a per illness, per injury, per coverage period, or per lifetime basis will not be accepted.
- Have In-Network Providers located in Nashville, TN.
- Have an In-Network deductible no greater than $250 per policy year
- Provide immediate coverage for Pre-existing Conditions and with no waiting period for services.
- Provide coverage for Maternity Coverage and Newborn Care.
- Provide coverage for Mental Health/Substance Abuse with no limits on outpatient or inpatient services.
- Provide coverage for prescription drugs. .
- Provide coverage for Preventive Care Services. This means coverage for routine physicals; physician visits exams; gynecological exams; and coverage for preventive laboratory tests, immunizations, and vaccinations.
- Provide coverage for Emergency Room Services.
Denied Waivers- Was your waiver denied, even after submitting supporting documentation?
Vanderbilt University has a committee that reviews appeals of your waiver decision. Waiver appeals are not done by Student Health, Vanderbilt Medical Center, or the Gallagher Student Insurance Plan. If you would like to proceed with an appeal of your waiver decision, please click here.
Early Enrollment for students arriving early
If you are full time enrolled student who is attending classes early you can choose to enroll in the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan for the period of June 1, 2019 through August 11, 2019. Please go to www.gallagherstudent.com/vanderbilt and sign in to complete the early enrollment form.