The Vanderbilt University Chemical Safety Committee (CSC) is charged to serve in an advisory capacity to the university to develop recommendations from a technical content, compliance, and peer governance standpoint for the purpose of creating a comprehensive chemical safety program for Vanderbilt University. Recommendations from the Chemical Safety Committee are forwarded to the Vanderbilt University Environmental Health and Safety Governance Committee for acceptance.
- Considers policies for research and teaching labs pertaining to the safe handling, transport and use of chemicals and recommends the adoption of new or revised policies at VU.
- Reviews and approves procedures and practice guides relating to the management of a chemical safety program.
- Reviews proposed or enacted legislation concerning chemical safety that may affect the Vanderbilt University community and informing Departments, Schools and Colleges of potential implications and business impact.
- Reviews research protocols and special projects involving particularly hazardous substances (PHS) as needed.
- Assists VU Departments, Schools and Colleges with their internal chemical safety committees and/or programs, in conjunction with the Office of Clinical & Research Safety (OCRS).
- Establishes a system for auditing laboratories for EHS issues, reviewing audit findings, and ensuring that appropriate follow-up is conducted.
- Develops and maintains the VU Chemical Hygiene Plan (CHP).
- Reviews at least annually a summary of the training status of all personnel working with chemical materials in teaching and research laboratories.
- Reviews at least annually all incidents involving chemical materials with respect to cause and subsequent actions taken.
Committee meetings are currently scheduled as needed. The committee charter requires that the Chemical Safety Committee meet at least twice annually, unless circumstances arise that require increased meeting frequency.
|Associate Professor, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering,
Director of Undergraduate Studies of Interdisciplinary Program in Materials Science
|F. Peter Guengerich||Tadashi Inagami, Ph.D. Chair in Biochemistry, Professor of Biochemistry|
|Yi Ren||Assistant Professor, Biochemistry|
|Gary Sulikowski||Professor, Earth and Environmental sciences|
|Guil Gualda||Professor, Earth and Environmental Sciences|
|Jennifer Ufnar||Research Assistant Professor, Teaching and Learning|
|Andrea George||Director, Sustainability & Environmental Management Office|
|Kevin Warren||Senior Director, Office of Clinical & Research Safety|
|Doug Horr||Associate Vice Chancellor for Audit, Risk and Advisory Services|
|Dmitry Koktysh||Research Assistant Professor, Chemistry|
|Liane Moneta-Koehler||Director of Research, Development and Support in the Office of the Vice Provost for Research|
|Anthony Tharp||Assistant Dean, Facilities, Infrastructure and Risk Management, Office of the Dean, School of Medicine–Basic Sciences|
|Larry Cox||Building Manager, Engineering and Science Building for VPR/VUSE|
|Aaron Covey||Facility Analyst, Office of the Dean, College of Arts and Science|
|Administrative and Ex Officio Membership|
|Jane Hirtle||Senior Research Projects Manager, Office of the Vice Provost for Research|
|Padma Raghavan||Vice Provost for Research, Professor of Computer Science and Computer Engineering|
|Mark Bogard||Assistant Director, Chemical/Lab Safety & Chemical Waste, Office of Clinical & Research Safety|
|Donna DePasquale||VUMC Office of Research|
|Stephen Hopkins||Safety Officer - VU Laboratory Compliance Program, Office of Clinical & Research Safety|