Parent Information

Welcome to the website of the Psychological and Counseling Center

The PCC provides a wide range of services to Vanderbilt students. For many students the primary need will be support in dealing with transition to college life. We encourage students and families to consider resources needed as you prepare for transition to university life. For other students there are identified mental health needs prior to matriculation to college. You will find in this section, various scenarios for those with identified mental health needs that can guide you in determining the resource needs of your son or daughter. 

Students with a history of mental health care prior to matriculation are encouraged to initiate contact with the PCC through the online scheduling portal before the start of the school year. We will work with you to develop a treatment plan for support during your years of study at Vanderbilt.

An aspect of college life that impacts all of the information included is the shift in responsibility once your student is legally an adult. Your son or daughter has the right to confidential care. We welcome your input about your student and ask that you understand that we are not able to provide information to you as parents without the written consent of your son or daughter. This can only be waived in the case of an emergency in which safety is an issue. The value of contact prior to the start of the school year is so that we can work with you and your student together during the transition before school starts. This will enable you to have trust in our system and your student to maneuver the challenges of the health care system as an adult. It will also allow you and your son or daughter to identify how you would like to interface as a family in exploring mental health options.

Please click here to view "Transitioning From High School to College with a Psychiatric Diagnosis: Preparation" by the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP)

Please click here to view "Starting College with a Psychiatric Illness" by the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP). 

You are also encouraged to visit Vanderbilt's Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Disability Services Department for information about applying to receive accommodations for a disability.