Knowing your waist size can give you important information about your health risks. Too much abdominal fat puts you at high risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
A high waist circumference is:
- A man with waist measurement over 40 inches (102 cm).
- A woman with waist measurement over 35 inches (88 cm).
To measure your waist circumference:
- use a tape measure
- bring it all the way around; level with your navel
- make sure it's not too tight and that it is parallel with the floor
- don't hold your breath while measuring
How we can help:
- Health Plus offers weight screening throughout the year at Know Your Numbers events.
- For help with getting to a healthy weight, Vanderbilt Health & Wellness offers the Vanderbilt Healthier You program. Health Plus provides credit to those who want to participate in the Vanderbilt Weight Watchers at Work program. Call 343-8943 for more information.
- If you would like to make lifestyle changes and would like the support of a Lifestyle Coach contact Health Plus.
Keywords: Waist, Waist Size, Waist Circumference, Weight, Weight Management