Global health has become an inextricable component of medical, public health, and nursing practices. Demand is increasing for health professionals who can function competently in a global marketplace, who have research or service interests in health problems of developing countries, or who wish to address global manpower inequities through training or service.
From in-country courses, clinical rotations, and research to on-campus student activities, VIGH’s global health offerings for medical students introduce students to key topics and concepts in global health including diseases and their medical, social, and systemic roots causes as well as clinical and community-based interventions appropriate for low-resource settings. Past student projects span over two dozen countries where VIGH has partnerships and include a broad range of topics in global health, from biomedical sciences and clinical investigation to socio-cultural correlates of health and health care delivery. Participation in global health research and training programs and other directed studies provides students with a foundation for future work as international clinicians, researchers, and public health workers.
Learn about the different ways that you can integrate Global Health into your research and career pathway (links to a YouTube video of an interview with VUMC resident, Asitha Jayawardena).
Nursing students, in addition to the information below, please refer to VUSN’s global health website.
VIGH has developed over 40 videos on numerous global health topics to help you learn more about working in health care delivery around the world. Click on this video to discover our global health video playlist.
- Integrated Science Course (ISC): Global Health (one-month clinical rotation)
- Advanced Elective (AE) in Global Health (one-month advanced clinical rotation)
- Research Immersion (three to six-month research project)
- Global Health Courses
- Graduate Certificate in Global Health (specialize in global health)
- Medical School Global Health
- Master of Public Health dual degree (MD-MPH)
- Extracurricular Activities
- Vanderbilt International Journal Club
- Global Health Opportunities Database