Happening Now and Next
A look at what's new in the world of diabetes research and technology
The Dexcom G6 Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) system is now available for Medicare* patients! Here is what you need to know.
For Medicare patients NEW to Dexcom:
- Ensure you meet the Medicare coverage criteria*
- Ask your doctor for a prescription for Dexcom G6 to your preferred Walgreens location(other retail pharmacies not available at this time).
- Walgreens will reach out to your doctor’s office for required documentation. This process can take several days.
- Walgreens will follow-up with you regarding cost, and to arrange delivery of your prescriptionat your desired Walgreens location, or shipment to your home.
For Medicare patients ALREADY USING Dexcom G5:
- Dexcom will begin upgrading existing Dexcom G5 Medicare patients around November 15.
- Details about the G5 to G6 upgrade process have not yet been announced by Dexcom and will be updated here when available.
Another important change:
- Blood glucose monitoring (BGM) supplies will no longer included Dexcom G6 shipments because Dexcom G6 does not require fingerstick calibrations.§
- Patients must purchase any meter testing supplies that they need.
- Medicare patients will no longer receive coverage for both blood glucose monitoring supplies and CGM supplies.
Additional information is available on Dexcom’s FAQ page.